How to have an Online Tax Prep appointment with Jen!
1. New clients, email Jen for a TaxDome account. Returning Clients, you will be getting an Engagement Letter to sign.
2. Sign the Engagement Letter (sent via TaxDome) and you will then be sent the Client Organizer.
3. Gather all of your tax documents - W2s, 1099s, mortgage or student loan forms etc. See a list of everything I need here! (If you are missing anything, check the Readiness Questionnaire to see if we are good to proceed without it for now)
4. Fill out any applicable spreadsheets. Be sure to send them as file type XLS or ODS or share as a Google Sheet. Please do not send file type Numbers or PDFs. There is no need to send me receipts for anything except large (over $500) charitable donations of physical items. If you have questions about spreadsheets, set up a free 15 min consult before Feb 15, or email me!
5. Fill out the Client Organizer - this will prompt you to answer questions and upload all tax documents, IDs and spreadsheets.
6. Once you are ready and the Organizer is complete and everything is in TaxDome, email Jen to let her know, and she will put you in the queue. If you do not email Jen, she will not know to put you in the queue, and your return will not get done even if everything is filled out and in TaxDome.
7. When your turn comes up in the queue, Jen will work on a draft of your return. If you are missing any documents or spreadsheets, she will email you to request them. Once the draft is complete, Jen will send you a link to set up an appt to discuss any outstanding issues, and catch up! Appts will be 15, 30, 45 or 60 minutes depending on how much stuff I think we need to talk about. If you think you need a longer appt than I am suggesting, let me know!
8. Schedule your appt to finalize your return. This appt is for going over any issues with deductions, state stuff, tax planning etc that requires a conversation. If we are happy with the return at the end of the appt, proceed to step 9! If there are outstanding items, we'll come up with a plan for getting those done, and once they are taken care of we can go on to step 9.
9. Pay Jen via Zelle or by credit/debit/echeck through CPACharge. Jen will then send you the full copy of your return to look over and the efile docs to sign via TaxDome. Sign, and be sure to download a copy of your return!
10. Treat yourself to a brownie and/or margarita, you completed your 2023 taxes!
EARLY BIRD DISCOUNT - your date for the discount is when you complete Step 6. If you are missing major documents or take longer than 2 weeks to schedule your appt, your discount may be downgraded.
IMPORTANT NOTES: To ensure your return is finished before the April deadline, send your stuff in as quickly as possible. I have space to do 250 returns during the regular season, then 50 more for extensions with an estimate, and after that you will have to do a regular extension. I am also setting a hard deadline of Mar 24 (Feb 25 for new clients) to get your return done without extension, but it is likely spots will fill up before then. After Mar 31, you are definitely getting an extension. Details HERE.
Q: What is the deal with deadlines this year?
A: Last year I set what I thought were totally conservative deadlines to ensure I wasn't overloaded during tax season...but so many of you met the deadline that that is exactly what happened! So this year there is no specific deadline, I will have 250 spots available and when they are full, they are full, and I will have to file extensions for everyone else after that (the next 50 spots will get a personalized extension estimate). Spots might fill up by Mar 3, or there still might be spots available Mar 20, I have no way of knowing, so just plan to get your stuff in as early as possible. I will have a page on the website that I will update every day or so with how many spots are remaining. I am also setting a hard deadline of Mar 24 (Feb 25 new clients) for getting information in, even if I do have open spots.
Q: How do I schedule my appt?
A: Like last year, you can no longer self-schedule your appt on my website. To get an appointment, you need to complete the Organizer and get in the queue. Then when you come up, I will send you a link to schedule. This ensures getting an appt is not like The Hunger Games and ensures you have everything ready before schedule for maximum time efficiency!
Q: What if I have questions about the spreadsheets?
A: You can set up a free 15 min consultation with me before Feb 15. If you have questions after Feb 15, email and I will give you guidance. For your appt, fill out the spreadsheets to the best of your ability, we can make any necessary changes during your appt, but we need to have at least a base to work with!
Q: How do I get all this stuff to you?
A: However you can! Ideally, PDF's are the best if its something you can download. If you have a physical copy and can scan to a pdf, that's also awesome. If you don't have that though, a good picture with your phone is fine! Just make sure its a jpg or png, it's hard to work with Apple HEIC files. Worse comes to worse, you can also physically mail me copies, email me for my address. You can get TaxDome as an app on your phone, just find it in the Apple or Google Play stores.
Q: Anything else I need to know about uploading?
A: If you can, please name your files something helpful to me, like "W2 Job 1" or "Student Loan info". When the filename is just a series of numbers, I have to go through everything and re-label. Here are videos about how to upload! Also make sure your pics or PDFs are legible. If you can't read them, neither can I!
Q: How secure is this?
A: As good as we can with current tech. I am the only one with access to my TaxDome account, and I do my best to keep that secure by changing my password regularly. The links I send you can only be used for uploading, not downloading, so if anyone gets into your email the link is useless. I am a very small outfit, so it's unlikely my account would become a target.
Q: Are you a Mac or PC?
A: PC all the way baby! So no, I don't have Facetime, and I can't open pages or numbers, so make sure what you send is PC compatible! Thanks!