1. We don't have any info about what states will do yet, last year they all conformed to the new date, but if any do not I will keep you apprised. Right now I'm assuming most will. If any states, particularly NY, don't conform, I will contact people about filing or extending.
2. At the moment, there is no extra time for IRA contributions, so if you are planning on doing a 2020 IRA contribution it still needs to be done before April 15. Same if you are hoping to claim a refund for 2017, you need to file by April 15. Estimated payments for first quarter are still due April 15.
3. If you are on hold with me because you have unemployment or payback of health insurance credits, keep hanging tight. I have yet to get a software patch to file these returns, but hopefully I will soon, and once I do I will start working through the backlog and getting you filed. You will get an email from me confirming your amounts and debits etc, then you will sign the efile docs and be filed. There is no need to email me, I will start working on these returns as soon as I get the patch. This extra month gives me some breathing room :) I will update here once I get the patch.
4. If you already filed, keep hanging tight, the IRS is not accepting amended returns yet and is telling people and preparers to hold off until they issue more guidelines. There is some talk of not needing to amend, of the IRS just issuing refunds, but we shall see. Again, no need to email me, I will be going through every filed return if amendments are necessary once the IRS starts accepting them. I will update here as things develop.
5. If you haven't filed yet, continue on as normal! I have extended available appointments through May 17, but I have slowed my pace a little to give me a break and to give me time to work on the backlog of unfiled unemployment returns, but there's no reason to hold off. If you have unemployment you will be on hold til I get the patch, but your return will be done and ready to go as soon as possible.
So to sum up, we're still waiting, but now we hopefully have a little more time!
I am really looking forward to things calming down and things not changing every 5 seconds!!!