How to get your taxes done entirely online with no appt!
If you have a busy schedule and can't make an in-person or online-based appointment, you can complete everything over the course of about a week through email!
1. Email Jen at email@example.com to let her know you want to do your return over email, and she will email you back a TaxDome link to upload all your docs. Or if you are a returning client, you can just sign-in to your TaxDome account and upload all your stuff to the 2022 folder! Sign your Engagement Letter through TaxDome.
2. Fill out the Client Intake Form, and any applicable spreadsheets. Get them here! There is no need to upload receipts unless you have a charitable donation of items over $500. Spreadsheets need to be file type XLS or ODS, or shared as an editable Google Sheet. Please don't send file type Numbers or PDF.
3. Upload your spreadsheets, and ALL of your tax documents (W2s, 1099s, student loan 1098E, health insurance, etc) to TaxDome. Note, I need the actual tax documents; 1099G for unemployment, 1099DIV for stock dividends, etc. You can also upload pictures of your ID and your bank account info for direct deposit/debit. A list of docs to send can be found here. A video about uploading is here. If you have questions about spreadsheets, email me!
4. Email Jen to tell her that it's all there and the Intake Form is submitted and you will be placed in the queue! When it's your turn, Jen will work on your return and be in touch with questions, and you can email back and forth a couple of times working out the details.
5. Once the return is complete, Jen will let you know how its looking, as well as tell you what you owe for your tax prep fee. Please pay promptly through Zelle or by debit/credit/echeck via CPACharge.
6. Jen will now send you a full copy of your return, and the Efile docs to sign. At this point, you may sign up for an OPTIONAL 15 minute call to go over your return, or if everything looks good, sign and you are set! Be sure to download and save the copy of your return.
7. Treat yourself to a brownie and/or a margarita, you completed your 2022 taxes!!!
For the early bird discount, the date for discount is when Step 4 is completed! Note that if you are missing documents/spreadsheets that are provided later, or are unresponsive to question emails and drag out the time it takes to complete the return, your Early Bird Discount can be downgraded.
IMPORTANT DATES: To ensure your return is finished before the April deadline, I need everything by Mar 15 (Mar 8 for new clients). Between Mar 15 and Apr 1, I will do my best to get you done, and if I can't I will give you an estimate of what you need to pay with extension. After Apr 1 (Mar 25 for new clients), you are getting an extension. Details HERE.
Q: How do I get all this stuff to you?
A: However you can! Ideally, PDF's are the best if its something you can download. If you have a physical copy and can scan to a pdf, that's also awesome. If you don't have that though, a good picture with your phone is fine! Just make sure its a jpg or png, I can't open Apple HEIC files. Worse comes to worse, you can also physically mail me copies, email me for my address.
Q: Anything else I need to know about uploading?
A: If you can, please name your files something helpful to me, like "W2 Job 1" or "Student Loan info". When the filename is just a series of numbers, I have to go through everything and re-label. Also, count the number of files you are uploading, you can check with me to make sure that's how many I have. Here is a video about uploading! Also make sure your scans/pics are legible, if you can't make them out neither can I!
Q: How secure is this?
A: As good as we can with current tech. I am the only one with access to my TaxDome account, and I do my best to keep that secure by changing my password regularly. The links I send you can only be used for uploading, not downloading, so if anyone gets into your email the link is useless. I am a very small outfit, so it's unlikely my account would become a target.
Q: Are you a Mac or PC?
A: PC all the way baby! So no, I don't have Facetime, and I can't open Pages or Numbers or HEIC files, so make sure what you send is PC compatible! Thanks!